Forum ’71 aims to promote and engage in discussions to implement an inclusive, consensus-based community run management structure for Hampstead Heath bathing ponds as an alternative to the distant, top down, managerial-led approach that has predominated in recent years by current Heath landlords, The City of London Corporation.
Such people-powered models exist and operate successfully in many swimming and bathing venues across the United Kingdom.
Here are a few examples.
- Henleaze Lake in Bristol
- Clevedon Marine Lake in north Somerset
- Wivey Community Pool in Somerset
- Sandford Parks Lido in Cheltenham
- Otley Lido in Liverpool
- Grange Lido in Morecambe Bay
- Bude Sea Pool in north Cornwall
- Warleigh Weir near Bath
- Thames Baths in London (under construction)
Forum ’71 is conducting ongoing research in to viable models of management such as Community Benefit Societies, Community Interest Companies, non-profit Social Enterprises and Endowment Trusts for potential future application at Hampstead Heath’s historic bathing ponds.