Forum ’71 aims to promote and engage in discussions to implement an inclusive, consensus-based community run management structure for Hampstead Heath bathing ponds as an alternative to the distant, top down, managerial-led approach that has predominated in recent years by current Heath landlords, The City of London Corporation.
Such people-powered models exist and operate successfully in many swimming and bathing venues across the United Kingdom.
Here are a few examples.
- Henleaze Lake in Bristol
- Clevedon Marine Lake in north Somerset
- Wivey Community Pool in Somerset
- Sandford Parks Lido in Cheltenham
- Otley Lido in Liverpool
- Grange Lido in Morecambe Bay
- Bude Sea Pool in north Cornwall
- Thames Baths in London (under construction)
Forum ’71 is conducting ongoing research in to viable models of management such as Community Benefit Societies, Community Interest Companies and Endowment Trusts for potential future application at Hampstead Heath’s historic bathing ponds.